How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus at Home
Get Rid of Toenail Fungus: What is Toenail Fungus?
Get Rid of Toenail Fungus: Toenail fungus is a condition when fungi (a tiny microorganism) gets underneath the toenails and causes an infection. This condition is also known as onychomycosis. It is one of the most common fungal infections.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
Depending on the infection spread, the symptoms vary from person to person. The most common symptoms are:
- Nail Discoloration (Changes in the appearance of nail color from normal to yellow, brown, green or white nails).
- Buildup of debris below the nails.
- Thickening of the nails.
- Nails get crumbled or ragged.
Toenail fungus is highly contagious, and it can spread rapidly to all other nails.
Methods to treat Toenail Fungus:
There are a lot of remedies and medications available in the market to treat toenail fungus. The moment someone notices they have a toenail infection, they search for ways on how to get rid of toenail fungus. Some people even break off the nail, which is infected, to get rid of nail fungus. You have to understand that breaking off the nail will only worsen the problem. As the infected area will be exposed to dust and bacteria, the infection can get worse. Thus, do not break off your nail. There are many natural and medical remedies available in the market which are capable of treating toenail fungus. Following are few such methods to get rid of toenail fungus:
- Antifungal Creams: You can try various antifungal creams available in the market. Antifungal creams eliminate the fungus and heal the infected area. Antifungal oil gel is also effective against toenail fungus.
- Natural Remedies: Several natural remedies are useful against fungal infections. If you want to treat your toenail infection with natural remedies, then you are in luck as there are a plethora of options. You can try tea tree oil, which has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Tea tree oil is effective against skin conditions. Applying tea tree oil on the infected area might kill the fungus and contain its spread.
You can even use Oregano oil. As oregano oil contains thymol, which has antifungal properties, it is an effective remedy against fungus infections.
- Antifungal Drugs: Your doctor might prescribe you antifungal drugs such as amorolfine, ciclopirox, tavaborole, etc. These antifungal drugs are available only if you have a prescription. Do not use them on your own, as these drugs can have severe consequences if not used properly.
- Take special care of your nails: By keeping your nails trimmed and clean all the time, you are reducing the chances of getting a fungal infection. Wash your nails regularly.
- Nail Removal: If the infection is not contained fast, it can move deep into the nails. If such a situation arises, your doctor might suggest you get nail removal. In nail removal, all parts of the nail will be removed. A new nail will grow gradually, but it will take time. This method is used when other methods are not useful against getting rid of fungus infection.
- Use Listerine and Vinegar: Listerine is made up of thymol and menthol, which has antifungal properties. While vinegar is acidic in nature. The combination of both will not only contain the spread of the infection, but it will also eliminate the fungus from the toenails. This method is specifically effective against green nails. On typical toenail fungus infection, this method might not be useful.
How to prevent yourself from toenail fungus:
Precaution is better than cure. Instead of looking for methods to treat toenail fungus, if you take necessary precautions, then your nails will be delicate and far from any such fungal infection. Following are some of the precautions you can take to avoid toenail fungus:
- Keep your feet and nails clean and dry.
- Trim your nails from time to time.
- Do not use the same sock for many days.
- Keep your eating habits healthy.
- Wear footwear while going out.
- Allow your nail and feet to get some fresh air.
- Use antifungal soaps and creams to kill any fungus on your skin.
By taking the necessary precautions, you can treat toenail fungus. Toenail fungus is hardly painful, but they sure get itchy or cause irritation. So do not ignore any symptoms of fungal infection. Consult your doctor if you get to know that you have toenail fungus. Toenail fungus might not be painful, but it can surely cause you severe harm if it spreads to each and every nail. Thus lookout for the symptoms and take necessary precautionary steps to avoid any chances of getting toenail fungus.