Hiccups: Reasons, Advises, and Theories
How to Get Rid of Hiccups: Having hiccups is an everyday phenomenon. Hiccups are commonly uncontrolled muscle contractions of the diaphragm muscle. It is one of those little annoyances of life which bothers you for a while, and it goes away. Hiccups are very common, and almost every man, woman, and child on this planet had hiccups at some stage in his or her life. Having hiccups is absolutely normal, and in most of cases, they don’t last more than a few minutes.
Hiccups are not a major health concern. Actually, it is not even a health concern. But sometimes hiccups last more than it should, and this creates some problems. Hiccups are so common that there are hundreds and thousands of methods available online to treat hiccups. Some of them are scientific, some of them are quite old, while some are just useless and ineffective. There is so many written, spoken, and discussed hiccups.
Whenever someone has hiccups, many people suggest different sorts of things. There are numerous theories and suggestions available online on how to get rid of hiccups. It is evident that not all of them will be accurate, and some of them could be useless. So it is necessary to choose the appropriate method for getting rid of hiccups.
Causes behind Hiccups:
Whenever you have hiccups, you may wonder that what could possibly be the reason behind having hiccups. It is believed by many that we get hiccups only at the time of eating, but that’s not true. You can get hiccups at any time of the day, anywhere. Hiccups don’t really care what you are doing or where you are. There are several reasons because of which you can get hiccups.
Overeating: When you eat more than your capacity or when you feel that you are full up to your throat at that time, chances of having hiccups are maximum. Overeating is one of the most common reasons behind having hiccups.
Eating too Quickly: Being fast is good, but eating too fast isn’t. Many people have this tendency to eat too quickly. They are always in a hurry. Eating so quickly means you are swallowing most of your food. This causes hiccups almost every time.
Eating Spicy Foods: Spicy food is loved by the majority of people. But nobody wants hiccups because of it.
Excited or Stressed: You may notice that many times when you are too happy or excited about something, you may get hiccups. Sudden excitement causes hiccups. This applies to stress too. When you are too stressed, you can also get hiccups. Many people, when they cry a lot or sob a lot, they have hiccups.
Alcohol and Carbonated Drinks: There are numerous cases in which people had hiccups after consuming alcohol. People who love drinking carbonated drinks, such as soft drinks, encounter hiccups regularly.
How to get rid of hiccups?
The majority of times, hiccups don’t last more than a few minutes. But in some cases, it is reported that hiccups lasted for a day or so. If hiccups last more than 48 hours, then you should immediately go for a checkup and should consult your doctor. Long-lasting hiccups could be caused due to some medical condition or some medications.
Whether it is hiccups for a few minutes or for a day or two, everybody wants to cure hiccups as soon as possible. Many people have this question in their mind: how to get rid of hiccups? Well, there are several methods and techniques through which you can cure your hiccup problem. We have discussed some of these methods and procedures below:
- Breathe into a paper bag: When you have hiccups, simply just put a paper bag over your mouth and nose and breathe slowly in it for a while. This may stop your hiccup soon. DO NOT breathe for a long time into the bag as it may cause dizziness. Also, don’t place the paper bag over your head.
- Hug your knees: This is quite a popular method to get rid of hiccups. Just sit in a comfortable position and hug your knees by bringing them close to your chest. Sit in that position in a while; your hiccups will stop.
- Control your breath: Inhale the air and hold it for 10-20 seconds. Exhale slowly and steadily. Repeat this a couple of times till the time your hiccups stop.
- Put Pressure on Diaphragm: As you know that hiccups are caused due to involuntary spasms in the diaphragm muscle. Compress some pressure on your diaphragm for a while. Do not put too much pressure. Apply pressure slightly for a while.
- Pull-on the tongue: There are several pressure points in the body that are particularly sensitive to pressure. Pulling out your tongue is one such technique. Pull out your tongue and pull it forward from its tip. This may stop the spasm in the diaphragm. Do not pull too much, or you might hurt yourself.
- Squeeze your palm: Use your thumbs to squeeze your palm to create a pressure point.
- Massage your neck: Carotid artery is present on both the sides of your neck. If you are having hiccups, massage both the sides of your neck gently. Massage one side first for 10-15 seconds and then the other side.
- Drink Ice Water: Slowly sipping iced water and gurgling every once in a while you are having a hiccup is an excellent way to get rid of them.
- Bite a lemon or Taste Vinegar: Many people use this technique to get rid of hiccups quickly. Sucking on the lemon is an effective method. Just remember to protect your teeth from citric acid. Also, while tasting vinegar, do not taste too much, or your throat and stomach might start burning.
- Eat some sugar: Put some granulated sugar on your tongue. When it melts, swallow it.
- Drink Warm Water: Drinking warm water while holding your breath in one go may seem absurd, but it surely helps to get rid of hiccups.
- Distract Yourself: It is observed that those people who don’t pay too much attention to hiccups and keep doing their work or whatever they were doing can quickly get rid of hiccups shortly. Try to engage yourself in something and distract yourself from that hiccup sound.
- Be Patient: If you don’t want to try something, just sit around, and hiccups will stop after a while. In the majority of the cases waiting for a minute or so will do the trick, and your hiccups will stop.
These were some of the easy but effective methods to get rid of hiccups.
Medication for Hiccups:
If you have hiccups for more than 48 hours or you get hiccups too frequently, then you should consult your doctor to get further guidance. Long-lasting hiccups can affect your sleep schedule, eating, working, and breathing habits. If you have any such symptoms because of hiccups like insomnia, losing weight, severe headache or nerve ache, stroke, then you should go for a checkup immediately.
Your doctor might suggest you some medication to get rid of your hiccups. These medications are useful in relaxing your muscles, controlling pain, treating nausea, etc. Some of the standard medications prescribed for hiccups are Baclofen, Chlorpromazine, and Metoclopramide.
It is advisable that you should take medication after consulting your doctor only. Medication is advised for long term hiccups only and prescribed only if no other method or technique is not working.
DO’s and DON’Ts while having hiccups:
- Be patient and wait for a while.
- Sit comfortably and massage the muscle which is moving.
- Sip warm water or gargle cold water.
- Distract yourself as much as possible.
- Go for a walk and breathe fresh air.
- Do not drink alcohol while having hiccups.
- Avoid soft drinks and carbonated drinks.
- Do not try to eat any kind of food.
- Do not eat spicy food.
- Do not eat too quickly.
- Do not overeat.
- Do not drink something cold after something hot and vice versa.
- Do not panic.
- Do not try too many things to get rid of hiccups.
After reading till here, all your queries, myths, and questions might be answered. As we have said earlier in this article and we will mention this again that trying many things will not solve your problem. Having hiccups is completely normal, and the average lifespan of a hiccup is just a few minutes. So there is nothing to worry about.
So the next time when you are at home eating food, or addressing a meeting in the office, or out on a date with your loved one, If hiccups bothers you, just try any method mentioned above, whichever is possible in your scenario, and wait for a few minutes to see the magic. It’s that simple. If you know of any method which we have not mentioned in this article, then you can also try that, just take proper precaution in whatever you are doing. Also, understand about how scientific your method is. Otherwise, instead of solving one problem of hiccups, you may get involved in some other problem.