How to Get Rid of Caffeine Jitters – Treat Caffeine Addiction
Caffeine Jitters: An Addiction
Caffeine Jitters: Every human being has some sort of addiction. Some are addicted to gambling, while others are addicted to alcohol. For some, smoking is an addiction while for other drugs is something to which they are addicted. Some are addicted to junk food while some are addicted to beverages. One such addiction is caffeine addiction.
The primary source of caffeine is coffee, cold drinks and energy drinks. Out of this coffee is the most consumed, and thus it contributes the most significant amount of caffeine in your body. Many people are addicted to coffee so much that if they don’t get it on time, they might feel irritated. If a person drinks too much coffee or consumes over the standard little of caffeine, they might feel caffeine jittery. Thus, they search for ways of how to get rid of caffeine jittery.
What is Caffeine Jittery?
Many people experience a sudden rush of energy and adrenaline in their body and then a sudden crash of it after consuming coffee or other caffeine-based products. This feeling or sensation is known as caffeine jittery. Caffeine jitters are mostly caused by overconsumption of caffeine.
How much is the overconsumption of caffeine?
The one question which has confused not only ordinary people but health experts and organizations is how much is the overconsumption of caffeine. The thing is there is no standard limit or quantitative limit, which can define overconsumption. There is no standard limit for how much caffeine in coffee is too much. As all humans have different medical backgrounds, genes, age, physical structure and conditions, the overconsumption limits vary.
For example, pregnant women should not consume much caffeine, while children should consume the least amount of caffeine as compared to any other group. For adults, there is no such limit, and it mostly depends on the physical and health characteristics of an individual.
Symptoms of Caffeine Jitters:
Caffeine consumption and stress have one thing in common, and that is both of them increase the adrenaline in the body. When a person takes too much stress, the adrenal level increases in the body. Similarly, when a person over consumes caffeine, the adrenaline level in the body increases. This sudden rush of energy causes an increase in heartbeats, restlessness, anxiety, increased blood pressure, nervousness, lack of sleep, sweating, dizziness, shortness in breathing, etc.
How to treat caffeine jitters:
If you are one someone who is addicted to coffee for a long time now, then you may have encountered caffeine jitters a couple of times by now. If you want to get rid of caffeine jitters, you might need to reconsider the choices you have made so far. Following are some of the methods to get rid of caffeine jitters:
- Reduce coffee consumption: In most of the cases, coffee is the primary source of caffeine in the body. If you drink too much coffee in a day, then it is time that you change your habits and take some precautionary steps. The first step towards avoiding caffeine jitters is by reducing the amount of your coffee consumption. If coffee consumption reduces, the caffeine level will also drop.
Do not make a sudden change in your consumption pattern as it will have negative consequences. If you were drinking 5-6 cups of coffee previously, then reduce it by one cup of coffee for each week or ten days. Until your coffee consumption reaches one or two cups a day.
- Drink Plenty of Water: If you are encountering frequent jitters, then water might help you to solve this problem. Drinking plenty of water reduces the caffeine level in the body by flushing it out, and thus jitteriness disappears. Remaining hydrated is the key to reduce the caffeine jittery in the body.
- Exercise extensively: Overconsumption of caffeine causes an increase in the levels of adrenaline. This unwanted energy might be released if you exercise extensively. Not only it will reduce the adrenaline levels in the body, but it will lower the jitteriness in the body.
- Wait it out: The most common way to get rid of caffeine jitters is to wait a couple of hours. It takes 5-10 hours for the caffeine to wear off from the body completely. Thus, avoid taking caffeine items such as coffee, energy drinks around the time you sleep. According to a study taking caffeine products 8-10 hours before sleeping is advisable as by the time you sleep, it would be entirely out of your system.
- Manage Stress: Many people have a tendency of drinking coffee when they are stressed about something. Not only caffeine but stress too increase the adrenaline levels in the body. Thus, if both of them team up together, then it will be a bumpy ride for you. Therefore, manage your stress as much as possible. Try breathing techniques to calm yourself, or go for a walk, take some fresh air. All of these might help in reducing the stress levels, which will result in a reduction in adrenaline levels and thus, caffeine jittery will decrease and stop.
Drinking coffee is not a bad thing as it increases energy levels and your concentration, but just like anything else overconsumption of coffee/caffeine products is also not healthy, and it may have severe health consequences. Try to control your caffeine addiction by trying any of the above-given methods and if nothing helps try consulting with a doctor. The doctor might give you some better suggestion or advice on how to overcome your caffeine addiction and tackle the problem of caffeine jittery.